msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: helmets in MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Pennington-Boggio's" <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: helmets in MSAR
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:34:29 -0800

I'll weigh in a bit here! <G> First we need to think about why high-risk
activities involve helmets. Comfort is not the first concern. Second is
to remember that just regular riding is considered a high-risk activity.
(ask your insurance carrier) The kind of riding we do can be major
high-risk. Have they made a great riding helmet that is comfortable,
well ventilated, light weight, and has a great sun-deflecting brim? Not
yet. But in the meantime there are helmets that are comfortable,
well-ventilated, and light weight. Hey, 3 out of 4 isn't bad!

I wear a helmet and have for the last 3 years. I felt pretty
hypocritical telling my kids they had to wear a helmet when riding but
not wearing one myself. My daughter said to me "I'd miss you as much as
you would miss me." Hmm. I've been riding for 42 years. I consider
myself a pretty decent rider. But accidents happen...and I would rather
rescue someone else than be a victim myself. We can ignore the
statistics and give all kinds of reasons why we shouldn't wear a helmet
but that doesn't change the facts. Some ideas are harder to shed than
others.

I am very fair skinned and sun is a major factor for me. Because I
choose to wear a helmet I have found other ways to avoid over exposure.
My helmet is well ventilated and very comfortable. In fact it is usually
cooler than my cowboy hat in the summer and it's warmer in the winter.
(Add a wool or silk cover and you can be plenty toasty!) It is
lightweight. I don't notice it anymore. The brim in front is plenty to
shade my face and I always wear a bandana to cover the back of my neck.
(useful for wetting and keeping cool too!) Sunscreen is a part of my
personal effects. I don't hike with the helmet. I take it off and clip
it to my saddle, pull out my squishy felt hat from a saddle bag, and off
I go- comfy and protected. Biggest downside? Harder to take off and let
a breeze ruffle my hair! I'm working on my one-handed release! <G>

However- do we require everyone in the group to wear a helmet? No. It's
still not very accepted outside of english and showring riding. I do try
to set a good example though. A few others are talking about wearing one
now too. Accomodations can be made that makes helmet wearing for horse
work safe and comfortable. The more we request what we need the more
manufacturers will listen.

Just my two cents worth.
Chris
(Whose life was saved by her helmet this fall. Without it there would
have been grey matter everywhere. Not an exaggeration.)