msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: Wearing Helmets (Jay Hall)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: HALLJK@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: Wearing Helmets (Jay Hall)
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 19:17:40 EST

Think one of our members kicked in on this some time back....

I've been riding horses for close to 35+ years now.  The only time I've worn a helmet is while jockeying and the past three years during "official" search and rescue activities.

Our unit is certified Mountain Rescue Association (MRA) team.  Our mounted team is an auxilliary to that.  All of our mountain members are part of our MRA team.  The team rules are if we're going to touch a rope we wear a helmet.  A Petzel climbing helmet is what I use, although some of our members carry the rock helmet and wear riding helmet.  I don't cook in that and can wear cap or balaclava underneath it if its really cold.  It doesn't provide the sun shade of a cowboy hat but, it does work...

Jay Hall

  • [MSAR] Re: Wearing Helmets (Jay Hall), HALLJK, 03/18/2003