microid - Re: [Microid] MicroID hashing algorithm(s) and normalization

microid AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "Eran Sandler" <eran AT yedda.com>
  • To: "'Peter Saint-Andre'" <stpeter AT jabber.org>, <microid AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Microid] MicroID hashing algorithm(s) and normalization
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:16:28 +0200

As far as I understand microid, there is no place in having a spider crawl
on the web finding microids that are related to me, Eran, and figure out
that all of this content is mine.

If they want to do that, let them go to my claimid.com page. My claimid.com
page has all the necessary pages I've claimed and I stand behind them as my
own on a given identity.

As I've pointed before, having the a domain level based microid compromises
my privacy (Use case: having two different identities on the same web site
with the same Email address that is not publicly available on the website).

The only thing that microid provides is a unique value that a site like
claimid can verify and enable me to claim the content.
A claimid-like site is the site that should check for my authentication and
recognize me as me.

MicroID is not a replacement for a decentralized authentication system like
OpenID and MUST not provide any means of identifying me directly (or at
least make it very hard to figure my identity).

Of course if I have a set of web pages and a set of email address and each
of these pages have a microid on them I can run a brute force attack and
eventually identify that a certain page was written by a certain user, but
it will still lack the ability to fully prove that that user is the actual
one and not a fake.

That's why the main rule here is: "Only what I claim is mine" (and therefore
MUST have an authority behind it)
Anything else is just a set of hash values, ids or whatever and cannot
guarantee authority.

This point, leads me to the crossing point between microid and openID, but
this should be started on a different thread :-)

Eran