microid - Re: [Microid] MicroID hashing algorithm(s) and normalization

microid AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • To: "microid AT lists.ibiblio.org" <microid AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Microid] MicroID hashing algorithm(s) and normalization
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:13:34 -0500

On Tue, 2006-28-11 at 14:00 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> But the way I understood it is that the microid says "this is fred at
> delicious". [...]

Here's a counter-example (not (yet) implemented). I've worked on a lot
of pages on Wikitravel. If I wanted to claim that I've worked on the
London travel guide, I could point to the London page:

http://wikitravel.org/en/London

That page could have a microid <meta> tag that says that Evan worked on
this page. If I didn't work on the Paris travel guide, then this page:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Paris

...would _not_ have a microid for my identification.

> It seems to me that what we care about [...]

I think we care about associating people with resources. I think making
claims to user accounts on different services is a great use case, but
it's definitely not the only one.

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>