microid - Re: [Microid] MicroID hashing algorithm(s) and normalization

microid AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "Eran Sandler" <eran AT yedda.com>
  • To: "'Peter Saint-Andre'" <stpeter AT jabber.org>, <microid AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Microid] MicroID hashing algorithm(s) and normalization
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:05:04 +0200

> Right. This is addressed by the URI spec.

> BTW, these are URIs, not URLs. I can visualize MicroID applications that
> don't use HTTP URLs -- think SIP, XMPP, etc.

Point taken :-)
These are URIs, not just URLs.

> So the authority component is always domain.tld? That is potentially
> problematic given the market for third- and fourth-level domain names.
> I'm not sure how to handle that.

The reason I have said to cut down the "www." part is mainly because I don't
believe the "www." part to be a real third or fourth level domain name.
Everything that does not starts with a "www." is should be good to go, so
that when I have something like "erans.microid.org" (which a lot of sites
use nowadays for profile related information and the "user's homepage")
would be considered a valid domain name that will be used in the URI.

> I disagree. The point is to normalize down to something like this:
> http://microid.org/

Like Fred, I do believe that there should be a different microid for each
page, mainly due to the fact that in the same site I might want to have to
identities and having the same microid will expose me to some degree (if I'm
using the same Email on both identities). This is actually a privacy issue.

> Personally I don't see a big difference here between HMAC and SHA1 here
> because we're not attempting to provide cryptographic assurance. I think
> we need to settle on one algorithm and leave it at that. Fewer options,
> fewer ways to go wrong.

You are right that having too many protocols is a bit too much, but since
SHA1 has been proven to be a bit shaky, I don't think we want the whole
system to crash down just because we reached to the point where we got the
same hash value for two different underlying values.

On the other hand, each protocol has its computation overhead and that is
something we need to give some attention when choosing a hash algorithm.

I still believe that we should mark the protocol used within the microid
(like the suggestions made in the blog post) even if we are going to
eventually use only one hash algorithm.

Eran