microid - Re: [Microid] MicroID hashing algorithm(s) and normalization

microid AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Fred Stutzman <fred AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter AT jabber.org>
  • Cc: microid AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Microid] MicroID hashing algorithm(s) and normalization
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:51:03 -0500 (EST)

So you'd have the same MicroID at any page at that domain (or subdomain
if we figure that part out).

- If the URL ends with a directory or path (not a file, i.e.
http://microid.org/somewhere), make sure it has a trailing slash at the end
(i.e. http://microid.org/somewhere/)

See above. Use http://microid.org/

That is, I don't think we want per-page claims. At least not in general.
Do you have a specific use case where that's important?

I view per-page claims as absolutely essential - there are lots of reasons why I'd want to claim http://del.icio.us/fstutzman and http://del.icio.us/fstutzman/facebook separately. To "boil down" to a domain level basis would also not support multiple claims to a namespace. We definitely need to keep the system URL-specific so that claims can be made on individual URL's.

Personally I don't see a big difference here between HMAC and SHA1 here
because we're not attempting to provide cryptographic assurance. I think
we need to settle on one algorithm and leave it at that. Fewer options,
fewer ways to go wrong.

+1

--
Fred Stutzman