microid - Re: [Microid] MicroID hashing algorithm(s) and normalization

microid AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • To: eran AT yedda.com
  • Cc: microid AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Microid] MicroID hashing algorithm(s) and normalization
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:03:42 -0500

On Tue, 2006-28-11 at 19:25 +0200, Eran Sandler wrote:

> It does raises a few issues, one of which is the fact that we get two
> different microids if we access a page with or without a trailing
> slash.

> The other is the unnecessary re-computation of the microid every
> request.

Instead of having the same content at two different URLs -- bad idea,
generally -- have you thought about using HTTP redirects to redirect to
the preferred URL?

It's not only going to help with your MicroIDs, but it also is a great
way to boost search-engine placement. If you have the same page
accessible through N many URLs, the page rank of the page is split
across those multiple URLs. (Not just on Google, Yahoo, and Windows
Live, but on the multitude of other aggregators and search engines).

> My suggestion regarding normalization is relatively easy:

Well, that complicates things far too much for my taste. Managing the
structure and content of my URLs is up to me, not up to you. I should
choose what URLs I'm willing to make assertions about.

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>