market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] potato vine beater?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shoemaker, William H" <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] potato vine beater?
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 13:57:38 +0000

Some conventional growers use dessicants that are sprayed on to get the
foliage burned down before harvest. You probably don't want to use
conventional burn-down dessicants, but I wonder if 20% vinegar would work? It
makes a pretty decent burn-down herbicide. Anyone know if it'll work on
mature potato vines?

Bill
William H. Shoemaker,
Northern Illinois Viticulturist - IGGVA
Illinois Grape Growers and Vinters Association
wshoemak AT illinois.edu