market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] potato vine beater?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vern and Amy <vaspencer AT sisna.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] potato vine beater?
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 05:57:10 -0700

Katherine,
It looks like we may finally get our rain this weekend. I hope not too much before we get 2 acres of potatoes out.
How does anyone else in short seasons get their potato vines to die so they can harvest before it gets late? I have already had some spuds on/near the surface freeze when we got a blast from the north bringing the south end of the patch down to 16 F and the north end to 23 F, which finally finished off the vines on the north end. I have not been able to find a vine beater/chopper around here.

Vern in NORTH Idaho, where the only other person with this many spuds inherited his vine chopper.