market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Italian Long Hot Peppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Halstead, Kate" <khalstead AT wsu.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Italian Long Hot Peppers
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 22:56:51 +0000

Nope, it’s not a Serrano type at all. Serrano are much smaller, bullet shaped, and have a much different flavor.

What I have noticed, and the pix from Fedco mimics, is that the peppers are punt when the plant is not well fed and is left to its own devices. Still produces a large amount of fruit, just much smaller in size, with a pronounced curl. When the bushes get plenty of nutrition and water they set larger fruit that is conical in shape like the long hots and a lot straighter.

This Danish site shows something closer to what we get from the plants: http://www.irinas-shop.de/fish-pepper-p-400.html

Kate Halstead
Agriculture Workshops
WSU Snohomish
County Extension
600 128th St SE
Everett, WA 98208-6353
C-360.794.6081
W-425.357.6024
khalstead AT wsu.edu
www.snohomish.wsu.edu
Extension programs and employment are available to all without discrimination. Evidence of noncompliance may be reported through your local Extension office or to the WSU Center for Human Rights.

In the long view, no nation is healthier than its children, or more prosperous than its farmers. --Harry Truman