market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Italian Long Hot Peppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shoemaker, William H" <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Italian Long Hot Peppers
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 02:34:35 +0000

I've had the Fish pepper Kate cites, with strong variagation. Nice pepper and definitely not serrano. One trait common to serranos is a hairy leaf surface. This Fish does not have that trait.

The genetic plasticity of peppers and the abundant breeding, public and private, means we'll likely see strange peppers come along that challenge type and definition. This Fish seems to be one.

Bill

William H. Shoemaker

University of Illinois, Crop Sciences

St Charles Horticulture Research Center