market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] deer repellent?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vern and Amy <vaspencer AT sisna.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] deer repellent?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 06:48:02 -0700

Thanks, Mike!

I don't think we have heavy pressure, but for some reason they decided to take a liking to the potato plants. They have chomped the edges before, but now they are hitting the entire patch.
We had a dog when I was a kid that dad tied to the well-house while he stood at the other end of the small garden. He watched a deer walk right between! The coyotes are pretty bold this year. I think a dog away from the house wouldn't make it. We have lost more cats than normal this year.

Cool that you were able to get permission to take out some does. I have thought for a while that we need to keep them from getting started on our crops. Grandma had pick-your-own strawberries in a very dry year in the early 70's. There was nothing green but the berries, so they chomped them. The next year they waded through waist-deep clover to finish off the berry patch.

We are already planning on having lots of friends come pick-your-own deer at hunting season.

Vern