market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] deer repellent?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] deer repellent?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:24:11 -0400

Also, with the same population level, pressure on a given field depends on how much they can find to eat elsewhere. If there's something good to eat in the vicinity that's not protected by any repellent strategy, all sorts of things will work. If what you have is the only thing around that's deer-edible at the moment, almost nothing will work.

I find that when there's a green growing clover cover crop, there's often less pressure on the produce fields. I don't care if they eat the cover crop; they'll replace any green manure nutrients taken with brown manure in the process.

Of course that technique's not much help in a drought, as I haven't enough water to spare for the cover crops; and some protection is still needed for things particularly attractive to deer.