market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] scape pricing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] scape pricing
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:02:00 -0400

My scapes are earlier than anyone else’s around here, and we have one market with folks who have learned about them, so I sold them at 20 for $4 yesterday.  Sold about 5 lbs!!!  Yes, I sold some folks 5 or 10, but if we price them at 5 for $1, folks buy 5, and most folks went ahead and bought 20, particular after I told them will last in a plastic bag in the frig at least a month.  I looked online and saw a range of pricing.  Last year our most popular veggie vendor (good sales people) sold scapes I think 5 for $1, while I was doing 10 for a $1. I expect when others’ have scapes our price will go down, but maybe not.  Or if someone wants a lot I will probably do $5/lb or similar (1000 row feet of garlic makes lots of scapes).

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY

http://rhomestead.com      facebook/rhomestead

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe