market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] scape pricing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] scape pricing
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 08:25:56 -0400

Three farmers that grow and sell within 30 miles of each other.  Mike and I are at the same markets, which are heavily urban and Lucy is north of us in Oxford and Eaton and fairly rural.

We sell little garlic right now (selling nothing but our smallest heads at winter market for a premium) so scapes cover the costs of growing the seed crop, which is something to consider.  With the exception of elephant we grow nothing but stiff neck garlic specifically because of scapes and look at them as part of the cash crop.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855