market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] What will you be planting this month?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mac" <gofish54 AT centurytel.net>
  • To: <thamnophis AT gmail.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] What will you be planting this month?
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 15:45:49 -0400

We plant mostly fall broccoli and only fall cauliflower. The date here is July 25, but I am going to go earlier this year while the market I go to is more active. The main problem with the late planting are the white butterflies which are going strong at that time. Last year, I had them landing on the flats as we carried them down the rows. We use a lot of Bt to get them worm free.
The heat doesn't seem to be a factor when they are young. mac

Quoting Thamnophis <thamnophis AT gmail.com>:
I'm surprised a bit by the cole crops going in through July. (I'm a
newbie though so lots of things surprise me!) But I thought they would
bolt if exposed to summer heat. If I understood you guys right, you'll
be planting seeds of broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels
sprouts with the intention of transplanting them out in 4-6 weeks?

I'm also a little surprised by the lettuce. I didn't think it would
grow in July-August heat?

Joe
Boone County,. IA
5a