market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] scape pricing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dave or Kathy Campbell" <dkcampbell AT southslope.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] scape pricing
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 17:19:22 -0500

It’s important to harvest scapes when they are tender, because they go woody pretty fast. Only new, tender scapes are worth eating; woody ones are worthless!  You have at most a 2-week window to get them.  Get them when they emerge and have a half curl or so.  If possible, you pull them straight up to get as much as you can of the ultratender lower stalk.  (Can’t imagine WHAT those chefs were thinking who only wanted the tips—flowering part?—because they would be discarding the best part of the scape!)  Still, many will break off higher, but that is what you are trying for, at least.  We get them early and tender, and then keep in the fridge to sell during the rest of June, until our “real” garlic crop (bulbs) comes in around Independence Day.

We sell them dollar a dozen at Iowa City Farmer’s Market.  Originally only Asian customers would buy, but now (after 8 years) everyone does.  We explain that scapes are almost a separate vegetable, great for stir-fry or pesto (we have a reference file of recipes from the web for customers to peruse), but ought to be cooked all the way through (by light boiling) before going in the wok.  Finally, they can be kept year-round by blanching and then put in freezer bags.  Lot of folks get a year’s supply, and do that.

Dave Campbell / Tiffin IA / Zone 5b