market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] vacation weekend question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] vacation weekend question
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 13:52:30 +0000

It is a great question.  Especially for those of us who have been doing it a long time, and even more especially, for those of us who grow year-round using whatever technology.  We are at the point where we would like to have some breaks – at least a few days.  Except for a conference or two, we just don’t have that option.  And, even for conferences, it can be problematic depending on the time of year and number of days.  If we could hire someone, we would be willing to, but to get someone qualified to fill in for us for more than 2-3 days is impossible.  And, to train someone would take weeks.  We have a friend we can trust to feed/water for a couple of days, but only in the winter when we only have layers.  And, he is in his 70’s, so we know it could cease at any time if his health is lessened. We have utilized interns in the past, but again, only when we have a small amount of farm work going on, and sometimes there isn’t one left close to us after the main growing season is over.

We would love to take a full week, or maybe two, in the summer, to actually travel and see some of this gorgeous country beyond a half-day drive, but it just isn’t practical. Maybe there is an employment opportunity here for farm sitters – like there used to be for dairy relief milkers  in large dairy areas -  but only in areas with a significant number of market growers in a geographical area, and here, we are few and far between.

I’m watching this thread for ideas!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm