market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] vacation weekend question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] vacation weekend question
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 09:22:13 EDT

Vacation is always a problem, but we try to take as much of the winter off as we can.  We have livestock to care for so usually long term trips are out.  We take  a lot of short trips for a  week or two at a time at least once a month in the off season.  We are thinking about taking a couple of week off in September and going to the northeastern part of the country to enjoy the colors, but not sure when peak season is.  I have always figured I gained more by the time off that what it cost us money wise.  In the summer we do first of the week fishing and short camping, backpacking trips here in Iowa, I love the parks in our state, very well maintained and great DNR people to keep everyone safe.  We have backpacked for over 40 years and really love taking off over the hill and seeing what is on the other side.  My Dad and I started backpacking when I was quite young and after I got married we have always tried to take a few trips every year.  My Kids think it too much work, O'Well.  We just hire someone to do chores and if we miss a market we will survive.  This business is very hectic in the summer and thing work better for us when we take some mental breaks from the work, it isn't going away even if you are gone.

Phil From Iowa