market-farming - [Market-farming] Buckwheat in Asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: grizzdover AT gmail.com
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Buckwheat in Asparagus
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 00:24:50 -0500

Hello All,

I am wondering about folks experience using buckwheat.  I have a co-hort that over seeds soybeans in his asparagus patch after he is done harvesting it for the season with promising results of "out competing" alot of weeds.  I, unfortunately, have not ordered any soybean seed to replicate his experience and am considering doing something similar with buckwheat.  I'm thinking after the final harvest of asparagus and mowing it all down, lightly discing or tilling and over seeding buckwheat hoping to get some of the same smothering effect of predominately perennial weeds (Canadian Thistle and Curly Dock mostly) as he is getting with soy beans.  I understand that buckwheat may inhibit thistle seed germination, but am wondering what effect it may have on already established perennial weeds.  We are Certified Organic, so my "arsenal" for "dealing" with weeds is alittle constricted : ).  I would appreciate hearing any thoughts on buckwheat as well as any other ideas that would jive with a Certified Organic model to deal with perennial weeds in asparagus.

Thanks in advance,

Ben Saunders
Farm Manager
Turtle Farm