market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Planet Jr vs European Push Seeder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Planet Jr vs European Push Seeder
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 06:43:37 -0500

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 10:05:09PM -0400, Beth Spaugh wrote:
> I finally saw a Planet Jr in action, and saw how easy it is to take the seed
> hopper off to empty (one of my big hesitations in looking at photos of it).
> Has
> anyone had hands on experience with the two to make comparison? Johnny?s
> saw
> the European is lighter weight and the seed plates are easier to change. It
> appears to be less expensive new than used Planet Jr.s are, and less than
> half
> the price of a new Cole/Planet Jr. The potential downside I see, other than
> some plastic, is it looks like maybe the seed hole is on the side, so would
> not
> feed out the last small amount of seed?

I've used two PlanetJrs on a tool bar to plant southern peas and
spinach for many years. The drive gears and the hole in which the
drive gear shaft rides were ongoing problems. I had a friend who used
a push PlanetJr for many years to very thickly seed onions for
transplants.

I've used the Johnny's "European" seeder for several years. It does a
very nice job in spite of it's poor fit and finish. Even for small
seed; I now use it instead of a "pin point". It's far better for small
seed than an "Earthway". I find it easier to turn the "European"
upside down to empty unused seed than to remove the hopper of a
PlanetJr.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 253 days 2 hours 38 minutes