market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Labels for Zip-Lock Produce Bags (?)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Labels for Zip-Lock Produce Bags (?)
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 09:39:04 -0600

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 08:20:34AM -0500, somersfarm AT dishmail.net wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone has gone to a printing company and priced just
> getting
> a nice label printed. We use 2 x 4 mailing labels for all of our jams,
> jellies, relishes etc: So far I have been doing them myself, but they are
> not
> exactly professional looking. I?m not sure the cost of a well done label
> would
> be really worth it.

I had these labels done a few years ago:
http://austinfarm.org/homegrown/jelly.jpg

I didn't order from this place:
http://is.gd/lnhlEW
but a similar place.

The price above (2"x4") is about $.10 each for a thousand and about
$.05 for ten thousand. I'm pretty sure I ordered about ten thousand.

Over the years, I've used Hyde Park Label:
http://hydeparklabel.com
for many peel and stick produce package labels with UPCs. They are
local to Austin Texas. Many of my labels are single color, green on
white, about 1"x about 4".
Spinach 10 oz
Okra 16 oz
etc.

If the product is going into a plastic bag and the volume is
sufficient, I've found printed plastic bags to be more cost and labor
effective. I have a good stock of 1 pint zip lock printed bags for
peas and larger open top bags for spinach. Printing bags only cost an
extra $.01 or so per bag (in sufficient quantities) and then you don't
have the label application cost. Peel and stick labels are likely to
cost $.015-$.03.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 159 days 6 hours 20 minutes