market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Labels for Zip-Lock Produce Bags (?)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Labels for Zip-Lock Produce Bags (?)
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 09:04:33 -0500 (EST)

One of the things we've done is work with our local Kinkos and it actually worked out well.  For our permanent market produce basket signage, we put together a label we liked in MS Word, complete with our full-color logo.  I think we were able to fit four labels on a 8.5"x11" page.  Then we had Kinkos print them up on heavy card stock.  They all came out gorgeous.  For our egg labels, we used an Avery stickie-back paper 8.5"x11" and did the same thing - figure out the layout ourselves, then ship it to them for printing.  Each label there was 10" wide and I think 2" tall, again with our full-color logo and all state-mandated language.  Then they printed the full-color labels on that stickie-back paper.  We'd use a standard papercutter to separate the labels from each other, peel off the thin layer covering the stickie surface of each label, then apply the labels directly to our new egg cartons (they have to be new here by state law; no recycling).  It looked awesome.   We experimented with labels for bags, but ended up just printing something very basic so that we could fit more on each page.  Again there we used the stickie-back paper, had them print it, then separated out the labels at home prior to market.

I think most print houses these days could provide the services above, but we worked with Kinkos because they had a fairly elaborate online service where I can design what I want on my machine, upload it via their website to a Kinko's location that I choose, get printjob pricing, confirm that yes I want this print job done, and it's done.  The turnaround time varied from a few hours to overnight.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html