market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seeds from China

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seeds from China
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 14:08:25 -0500

On Feb 14, 2011, at 11:31 AM, Leigh Hauter wrote:

Is anyone else getting e-mails from seed companies in China wanting to do business? I got an email from salesman with a real seed company down in Guangzhou Province (just inland from Hong Kong)

I wouldn't buy anything from anywhere based on an unsolicited email, or click on any link in such email. Even if there's actually such a company, how do you know that's where the email's from?

As far as buying seeds: when possible, I try to buy seed that's at least been trialed in a similar climate to mine. It's my experience, for instance, that seed from companies that do their trials in the southwest USA often doesn't do as well for me as seed from companies that do trials in the Northeast, or at least in other short season areas. Ideally, the seed's also grown in that area, at least if the area's suited to seed production of that type of crop; but it should at least have been trialed there. There's a very great deal of China; without information as to where in China the trials are done, and what the climate is like in that area, I'd be dubious for that reason also.