market-farming - [Market-farming] Seeds from China

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <bullrunfarm AT hughes.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Seeds from China
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:31:48 -0500

Is anyone else getting e-mails from seed companies in China wanting to do business? I got an email from salesman with a real seed company down in Guangzhou Province (just inland from Hong Kong) That is actually set up to sell seeds to the US. Not my idea of where to buy seeds, I'm actually trying to move closer to home with all of my purchases which is hard when most seed companies are actually buying and repackaging seeds being grown all over the world. (there is no regulation, as far as I can tell, that requires anyone to tell you where the seeds you buy are being grown).

I was also told (this coming from one of my 'connected' shareholders) that at this last weekend's TED conference on agriculture that one of the 'presenters' said that Monsanto is now one of the worlds larger organic seed producers.

(I'm not the one dropping names. I had to look up TED to find out what it was. No wonder I wasn't invited.

Leigh