market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Square up

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Square up
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 14:11:58 -0600

Hi Sora,

We just got our first Square device last week (second one on the way so we
can both take payment at the market). We had already set up the account on
Square's web site ahead of time and had seen they had made two very small
account verification deposit transfers into the account and one debit for the
sum of the two deposits.

We already had iPhones (in our case, 3GS models) with unlimited data plan
from AT&T (has since been phased out I believe, but we are grandfathered).
We have been using these phones anyway, so putting the Square on them was a
no-brainer. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Getting the device to work with the phone could not have been easier. Bring
up the Square app (free download from app store), plug the device into the
headphone jack on the top, a white graphic of the device will appear on the
iPhone screen to let you know it sees the device, enter an amount, swipe a
credit card, and up comes a screen for your customer to sign. Hit send (or
cancel) and you're done. You may send a copy of the receipt via email to
your customer, you'll get an email from Square for the payment, and a few
days later (in our case, 2), you'll get an email from Square saying they've
deposited the payments for that period (minus their fees) to your account.

Here are the currently supported supported platforms
<https://help.squareup.com/customer/portal/articles/11845-is-my-device-supported-with-square->
.
Here is the instructional video to make it work on your iPhone
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2KzeD0JALQ> .

The only hinky thing we ran into at all, and it was minor at that, was
getting the reader to read the card. It was me, not the device -- after a
few practice swipes, it worked flawlessly.

Hope that helps,
Laurie
Barking Cat Farm
Texas, where we feel like we've already had a longer than normal winter and
it's only early February