market-farming - [Market-farming] Update--Meeting with Chefs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Update--Meeting with Chefs
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 08:09:09 -0500

We met yesterday, 6 growers with 3 chefs, and heard input from 4 other
chefs who could not be there. Meeting lasted ~90 min with us all,
then growers only for 90 more min to divy up chef requests, then fewer
growers for 30 min to coordinate joint seed orders to Fedco and E&R,
to take advantage of volume discounts.

Even before meeting began, we were shaking hands, updating family news
and contact info, discussing winter deliveries.

We started by asking for gaps in produce supply, along with those
items where there was plenty of supply. The divergent preferences of
each chef were obvious, this info worth noting and remembering. Chefs
take these preferences with them, even when moving to another
restaurant.

Lettuce: More needed during summer, both baby heads and mesclun.
Onions: Major need for more local growers of large red and yellow
onions. Some shallots.
Carrots: Another major need, seldom is local demand met anytime
during the season. Some colors requested, but primary need is more
orange.
Potatoes: More fingerlings and alternate colors, more storage
potatoes for late fall and winter.
Beets: More golden ones.
Parsnips: Several requests; I've done these before.
Horseradish: One chef needs a local source.
Celeriac, Kohlrabi, Salsify, Cardoon, garbanzos, favas, edamame:
Chefs want some unusuals, locally produced.
Jerusalem Artichokes: One request. I volunteered, please let me know
if you have some tubers for sale.
Rhubarb and Asparagus: Lots of growers have these for a short window,
but more needed outside this span. Growers reiterated these are
perennials for takes time to ramp up.
Peas: Need season extension around grower glut, earlier, later into
summer, fall. Pea tendrils and flowers a limited market but high
dollar item.
Green Beans: More in fall.
Tomatoes: More colors needed. Mixed cases, including heirlooms, requested.
Peppers: Color over greens. Request for mixed boxes of hots-colors, flavors.
Melons, broccoli, cauliflower: Local supply adequate.
Cucumbers: Need alternate colors and shapes.
Radishes: extend season beyond glut.
Herbs: Restaurants moving toward growing their own, couple of exceptions
noted.
Bok choi: Baby instead of full size heads.
Arugula: demand constant, but not huge. One chef stressed privately
that quality needs to be better for him to buy local.
Leeks: More needed.

I volunteered to grow these outside the seasonal glut: baby head and
leaf lettuces; peas and green beans, unusual cucumbers, radishes,
arugula. Also, we've grown these less common ones, so I signed up for
these: parsnips, horseradish, salsify, sunchokes, baby bok choi,
multiple edible flowers, including herb flowers. Lastly, I signed up
for carrots and large onions in quantity. Will be asking you all for
advice on the above as 2011 progresses.

We asked the chefs about pricing, they agreed that our prices were in
line with their expectations. We also requested they let us know if a
price (and by implication, quality) were out of line, and give us a
chance to right these before dropping this item or our farm from their
orders. Or, please ask/tell us when we need to change to retain their
business. This meeting helped build emotional capital, so hopefully
chefs can be more comfortable requesting changes. And growers more
comfortable prepping then offering our best for sale, even those who
would rather be pulling weeds in the rain/heat than giving someone the
chance to reject what we've lovingly raised.

Comments to some of your questions below:

> From: "Wendy's Produce" <info AT wendysproduce.com>
> Please, please share the notes from your meeting. I have recently started
> supplying one local chef. I could really use some real world input, as he
> would like me to grow everything and I just can't do that. This is also a
> new business for him so we are both "just learning".
Wendy, we growers said that some items we can't grow here, or in
quantity, or such miniscule amounts. But we do want to meet as many
requests as possible, so they know we are listening and so we can do
this again next year.

> In my limited experience, chef's don't use nearly as much produce as we
> would think.
We asked chefs and were told how many lbs or cases per week or month
on almost every item, esp. tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, carrots,
lettuce, etc. This helps us match our supply with their demand. We
growers also sell at local markets, so have other outlets.

>And on some things ... I had one ask me to grow chervil for
> him. A new crop to me (a little herb). I seeded a 3 x 6 bed, hoping it
> would be enough. He wanted less than 1/4 oz per week! A 4" pot/week would
> have sufficed. He just dribbled a few leaves on a plate as a garnish.
> Beth Spaugh
One grower asked for herb flowers, minimal amounts. I realize he
won't use much, but if the only supplier for some of his wish list,
could build this into a weekly delivery of other items.

> One of thing's that they need to understand is using fresh produce is not
> the same as ordering from their wholesaler/broker. I had a chef call on
> Thursday wanting Micro Greens for a party on Saturday, like all I have to do
> is shake my wand and it is instantly growing on a tree in December, Daaa.
> WE have always had a standard order and a min order for delivery or in
> summer three day notice of an email or call. If you are not careful they
> can
> dollar you to death.
>
> Phil from Iowa
Phil and Rivka, we hope sitting down with chefs, seed catalogs before
us, impresses on them (and us) the planning needed to bring these
requests to fruition. We also give extra copies of our preferred seed
catalogs to them, asking for anything in there they'd like us to grow.
> Yes. The idea that if you want to buy it in August, you may need to
> talk to me about it the previous January as I may need to order seed
> and start plants by March takes a certain amount of education. As does
> the idea that it's necessary to check both what's in season usually at
> a given time of year, and how the particular year's weather is
> behaving, before promising to cook a specific item for a shindig on a
> particular day.
>
> Of course, there's also the possibility that the restaurant which sat
> down with the farmer for a long conversation in midwinter and said
> they wanted to buy all sorts of stuff may not want it at all by the
> time it's ready.
>
> I would also be interested in seeing advice on selling to chefs/
> restaurants. I'm not very good at it.
>

> -- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 5 mostly

> Richard what kind of chefs do u have in SW VA? Do the chefs want organic?
> Do they want items out of season where a hoop house might help satisfy the
> need? Richard wrote:
Chefs here do not demand organic. But, among our growers, my general
observation is that organic (and transitioning) producers have the
highest quality produce, and that may be why they are most attractive
to chefs buying at market and continuing midweek and off-season.

> The chef we deal with found us at the farmers market. He was looking for
> local produce and at that particular market we are one of the few who
> actually grow what we sell. We also act as his supplier by keeping abreast
> of what other growers have that we do not. We then procure for him and add a
> small handling/expediting fee. And yes, he will text us at 8pm asking for a
> delivery the next day. Not usually possible but we do what we can. We feel
> that it is a work in progress on both sides. Hoping for great business for
> both he and us next year.

Thanks for you inputs going into this meeting. Now to plan where and
when to grow these items.
Richard Moyer
SW VA