market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Update--Meeting with Chefs: production questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Update--Meeting with Chefs: production questions
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 09:11:09 -0500

On Dec 22, 2010, at 8:09 AM, Richard Moyer wrote:

I volunteered to grow these outside the seasonal glut: baby head and
leaf lettuces; peas and green beans, unusual cucumbers, radishes,
arugula.

Do you have any advice on producing quality radishes outside the seasonal glut? I plant them through the season, but unless it's a cool summer I rarely get anything worth harvesting during the summertime.

I've also not had much luck getting peas to produce out of the usual season.

With cucumbers, the problem lately has been the new strain of downy mildew. Anybody know a cucumber resistant to this -- to the new strain, which has only been around for three or four years, at least in this area?