market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Taking Credit Cards at Farmers Markets: iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Taking Credit Cards at Farmers Markets: iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:56:02 -0500

"Sorry M'am, even though I am here in the big city I only take cash.  Checks will do I suppose.  We could barter.   No?  Well, I hope you feel a bit closer to your food and our magnificent rural way of life".

Seriously Pam?  I respect your right to choose (or not) whatever point of sale system you want but I find your statement to be a bit off.

I suppose I could play up the whole "country rube" thing, but why?  It would be a lie.  I use as much technology as I can.  Give me tech AND dirt under my finger nails!

I guess in the end I want too be a savvy farmer.  At a farmers' market I can offer a customer the ability to pay in any form they wish (customer service), I can communicate via Twitter, Facebook, our Farm Website, and LocalHarvest.org that we have a farm tour on a certain date allowing them to see the farm, and then use all these venues as ways to advertise that we supply certain chefs, restaurants, and retailers increasing our value to our wholesale customers, increasing their business volume, and ultimately securing our business.

I see no reason why a digital sales format somehow contradicts growing good food and being a good steward and thus threaten the very existence of farmers' markets everywhere.

I just wanted to get feed back from folks that had first had experience with it.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855