market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Taking Credit Cards at Farmers Markets: iPod Touc h/iPhone/iPad

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Paul Ewing <paul AT shiningmoonfarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Taking Credit Cards at Farmers Markets: iPod Touc h/iPhone/iPad
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:14:30 -0600

Hello Richard,

> I am pretty much sold on the idea,

> I find the 1.00 per transaction odd though. To get a 1.00 per
> transaction the market goer or buyer has to spend at least 30.00
> (approximately). That is 3.5% + charge. Considering my wholesale
> pricing to restaurants the discount for the CC access is MUCH
> smaller....MUCH.

I am not sure what the fees on that processor are, but my standard
merchant account is 35 cents a transaction + 2.99% for non swiped
(keyed) transactions. Then there is a .5% to .75% extra fee for reward
cards. I also have a $10 a month statement fee and $7.50 a month
"security fee". So it can add up fast if there are not a lot of CC
sales in a month.

The CC account is for my wife's crafts mostly, but we also use it for
some larger purchases (beef quarters etc). I haven't done vegetables
at market yet, but will probably take the knuckle buster just in case.

Cheers,
Paul
Shining Moon Farm
http://www.ShiningMoonFarm.com