market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] new tractor - wheel spacing - tillage tools

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "BarbaraJ" <jbmckillip AT mesanetworks.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] new tractor - wheel spacing - tillage tools
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 07:23:39 -0600

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sean Albiston" <lab AT physics.umn.edu>
To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 7:03 AM

The best single pass tillage tool in my opinion is an imants rotary tiller
(spader.) I went through a host of tillage implements and a couple of
tractors with various spacings until I figured that out. With an imants
tiller with harrow and a flail mower, you can pretty much plant into any
tilled bed after one pass. Worth considering. The crankshaft spaders
might be more ecological in some folks minds, but I don't believe the
contrast is that big. I've run over piles of spotted salamanders that
crawl out of the soil after I pass over them. Crankshaft spaders aren't
one pass implements either. Wish I would have read this conversation 10
years ago.

sean Stillwater, MN

by hand (yuck), wishing we could make a single pass. We had thought about
getting a very small tractor for the time being, with the thought that we
"could always upgrade later". But now I'm wondering if we should just
bite
the bullet (and the wallet) and get a larger tractor now so that we don't
have to go through this song and dance again. Jury is still out on that
part
but the conversation has given me a lot to think about.......
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA

In a message dated 9/15/2010 7:46:28 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,