market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] new tractor - wheel spacing - tillage tools

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sean Albiston" <lab AT physics.umn.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] new tractor - wheel spacing - tillage tools
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 08:03:28 -0500 (CDT)

The best single pass tillage tool in my opinion is an imants rotary tiller
(spader.) I went through a host of tillage implements and a couple of
tractors with various spacings until I figured that out. With an imants
tiller with harrow and a flail mower, you can pretty much plant into any
tilled bed after one pass. Worth considering. The crankshaft spaders
might be more ecological in some folks minds, but I don't believe the
contrast is that big. I've run over piles of spotted salamanders that
crawl out of the soil after I pass over them. Crankshaft spaders aren't
one pass implements either. Wish I would have read this conversation 10
years ago.

sean Stillwater, MN