market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] new tractor - wheel spacing - tillage tools

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] new tractor - wheel spacing - tillage tools
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 23:07:59 -0400

Just wanted to point out that...

Both manufacturers offer tractors in all ranges.  I would argue identical ranges for the most part.

We have a 110 HP New Holland and they get bigger up to a monster 500+ HP.  Case also offers quite a small tractors (under 50 HP).

Not that it matters much.  Its the geek in me.  :)

On wheel spacing, we have changed ours a variety of times.  The only tractor that it is easy to do this with is the Belarus, our Russian tractor which has a very simply system to spread or compress the wheel spacing.  The rest are sort of a pain.  We do a lot of hay work on hillsides and that 60" spacing is pretty narrow when you are dealing with steep slopes and changing centers of balance when you move hay around with a hydraulic arm.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855