market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Anyone Tried This?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Anyone Tried This?
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 17:01:20 -0400

On Aug 17, 2010, at 2:33 PM, Owsley lucy wrote:

. Large dogs are generally not coyote prey but could be killed by a large cat. Though if you have 3+ dogs running together that should not be an issue as a solitary cat would likely stay far away from several dogs

If I had 3+ dogs running together I would have a dog pack that in this location would probably go way too far and get themselves in trouble. I haven't enough area to serve as territory for 3 dogs of any breed that tends to run. I find that one dog can be taught to stay home a lot easier than multiple dogs can.

I'm not worried about coyote hunting the dog as prey. I'm worried that if she came across a hunting pack she would try to chase them off, and a whole pack would be too much for her. Our local coyote seem to run around her size (she's about 50 lb), larger than the western version.

As I have no livestock, the coyote themselves are a beneficial for me: I'm sure they eat lots of mice and rabbits.