market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Anyone Tried This?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Owsley lucy <boulderbelt AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Anyone Tried This?
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 14:33:58 -0400

On Aug 17, 2010, at 2:04 PM, Road's End Farm wrote:

On Aug 14, 2010, at 8:47 AM, Kathi L. Whitman wrote:

I have a good dog and she reduces the damage, especially from woodchucks. The dog and a couple of cats reduce, though don't eliminate, damage from rabbits and mice.

Ours stay out all night and come in during the day. We do get mouse damage but have no good hunting cats at the moment and the dog we have right now loves to hunt them but is really bad at it. Bunnies he's great at catching, though.

However, dog and cats spend the night in the house (we also have coyote; and, I strongly suspect despite official denials, the occasional mountain lion). Plus which, running deer can get a dog legally shot, I think.

Not if it isn't deer season AND they stay on the property. Large dogs are generally not coyote prey but could be killed by a large cat. Though if you have 3+ dogs running together that should not be an issue as a solitary cat would likely stay far away from several dogs.