market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Anyone tried this?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Anyone tried this?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 16:54:06 -0400

In my dream we would actually still have natural predators for deer.

We have ZERO deer issues in our vegetable crops because we put up a fence.  Deer trim some beans or corn and we on rare occasion loose a new fruit tree but like all other pests we learn to live with them.

Our fence is ugly its cheap and we run about 20K volts through it and it has pop cans and beer cans dangling from it.  We also kill back honey suckle and run brush "fences" up along our hill which makes them migrate the path of least resistance as they move around in the morning and evening.  It works amazingly well.

Admittedly I do not run chickens but I personally love seeing young foxes play in the windrows as we bale hay...and the owls and the raptors.

We also have a lot of venison in our diet.  LOTS.  We allow six hunters onto our 300 acres.  Not that it matters much.  Every doe taken though means you will not have two more deer the following season.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855