market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Zucchini problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Allan.Balliett" <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Zucchini problem
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:05:59 -0400

incidentally, our summer squash production has been miserable this year. I assume the extreme heat and drought (we do irrigate) contribute substantially to this, but I'm wondering if using 'the latest' hybrid squash seeds is also hurting us. We are on black plastic this season.

What say? Anyone else have heat related production problems from summer squash, yellow or green? In my head, of course, squash WANTS all the heat you can give it...

Also, for market, is it standard to plan to harvest bush squash like beans: figuring on only 2-3 weeks of harvest per planting?

Thanks

-Allan in WV where the well publicized coming rains never came yestersay (well, I take that back, I think we got 5 BIG drops)