market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] kioti tractors

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] kioti tractors
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:05:03 -0500

Hi Allan,

I don't have any direct experience with Kioti, and if you search Google
Groups and/or just Google for them, you'll get a wide range of both good and
bad opinions on various forums. It is my understanding from people who know
much more about tractors than I that Willie is right, almost all of the
smaller (say less than 40 HP) tractors that you can readily buy in the U.S.
are built in Japan or some other foreign country. John Deere dealers will
tell you this is the case even for their small tractors; most if not all of
them have Yanmar engines. There are a lot of good foreign-made tractors out
there, and I'm sure there are bad ones. My main workhorse is a Kubota bought
new, and it is some of the best money I've spent for the farm. The dealer is
awesome, and their parts and service departments are above and beyond any of
the other local dealers.

Because of that, I highly recommend you base any purchase of a newer tractor
on the quality of your local dealership, in particular their service and
parts departments, whether you do the work yourself of have it done under
warranty.

I live in the middle of John Deere country, and I know they make great
products. But the dealer would not speak to me about a smaller tractor. The
closest JD dealer I felt was going to be good to work with was too far away,
and they actually told me they'd prefer not to sell me a tractor since I'd
have to work with a more local dealer on service and they could tell it had
already been a bad experience for me. It was a blessing, because the Kubota
dealer and tractor have been wonderful. I know others who have had similar
experiences in their area (not local to me) with orange, red, and blue
tractors. So to me it comes down to the dealer.

Probably doesn't help, but that's my $0.02.

Laurie