market-farming - [Market-farming] hoophouse insurance

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <bullrunfarm AT hughes.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] hoophouse insurance
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 14:08:43 -0400

Does anyone have insurance on unheated greenhouses?

Last winter we had four 96X17 ft hoophouses go down under the snow. No insurance! (but who would have ever thought we'd have 33 inches of snow at one time in Virginia.

Before the snow disaster I had already bought 2 new houses 36X96 and 26X96. Both much better quality than the ones that went down. If I had known about the upcoming loss before I bought the new houses I would have probably waited and used the money to attempt to repair the severely snow damaged ones. (the metal hoops -- four foot centers-- bent to the ground in hard to repair places).

But, be that as it may, I like the new houses and they are producing bushels of early tomatoes, eggplants and peppers.

My concern, though, is insurance. The snow damaged ones weren't insured (who would have thought they would have had to stand up to that sort of weight) though I vaguely thought they were). This year I decided to make sure all of my houses are insured for more than theft and fire, however I just got a letter from Farm Bureau Insurance saying they were denying snow and ice insurance because the houses aren't heated.

Does anyone have experience with insurance on unheated greenhouses?