market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wilting cilantro

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "stonecirclefarm tds.net" <stonecirclefarm AT tds.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wilting cilantro
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 18:51:44 -0500

Two thoughts on cilantro:

1. Are you leaving some root on the plants? I cut mine just below the
surface of the soil.

2. I sell virtually all my cilantro in 12-bunch cases to restaurants
so I don't have experience at a market but my understanding is that
cilantro holds up better if the bunches are not packed wet. Starting
last season, I made bunches in the field and (assuming the leaves were
reasonably clean) only sprayed the root ends clean back at the wash
shed, set the bunches in a shallow wash tub so that only the bottoms
of the bunches were in water and left them in the shade for a while to
cool and hydrate. Then I packed my cases and put them in the cooler
prior to delivery. If the leaves were dirty (after a rain storm) I
submerged quickly and made sure the foliage was dry (using above
technique of leaving them standing in shallow water for a while)
before packing.

This added step would be a pain if you were doing tons of cilantro but
I was typically only doing 1-3 cases a week last season.

-John