market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] I'm a TN farmer also...flooded

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Carla Shafer <cs13 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] I'm a TN farmer also...flooded
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 06:46:08 -0500

We're laying fresh plastic mulch this morning and starting to replant. I have no clue what has happened to the soil amendments I added to the field this spring, or how my nutrient bank may have changed. We've decided to cut our cultivated area way back - no market crops, just family and CSA. The rest of the field I'll put in cover crops for the remainder of this year.

I, too, would be interested to have information about health considerations related to working recently flooded land. Once I think the local health department is a little less stressed I'll give them a call and report back here.

Sara, I looked on your website for a phone number to give you a call, but couldn't find one. Here is some information about FEMA and tax options that one of our farm members forwarded to me. If your county is on the disaster list, you should have access to this assistance, as well. Hang in there.