market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] I'm a TN farmer also...flooded

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <liz AT marketfarmshoptalk.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] I'm a TN farmer also...flooded
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 10:08:44 -0400

After the flooding with Hurricane Floyd 10 years ago, I was told by the NC Ag Dept I could not re-plant for at least 2 months--not much of a problem then because that was in September, and I wasn't planting anything. Fall crops were lost, but the bulk of my growing season was over so no real impact on income, just increased labor in cleaning up at the end of the season. Here's some of the best info I've found so far for organic growers (good guidelines for all growers really) on the effects of flooding on organic crops/fields & how to handle everything including certification (University of Minnesota, 2006): http://organicecology.umn.edu/wp-content/files/impact-of-flooding-on-organic-food-and-fields.pdf

Liz