market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Carrot Germination

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "waldenfarm" <waldenfarm AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Carrot Germination
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:36:38 -0400

What increases germination rate and speed is humic acids. To have humic acid concentrated around the seeds, cover with sifted compost- in the field or in flats. It only takes a thin covering for carrots. I sow them on the surface of a fine seed bed and top w/ sifted compost- about 4 cubic ft. per 100 sq. ft. The compost acts as a really good mulch. I've brushed a bit of compost off the soil of a carrot bed to see if it was dry and the soil was still moist after no water for 8 hours. Worm castings work, too. A landscaper I know uses them to cover grass seeds in small  patches.

To plant low temp germinating seed in the field, I use shade cloth over the beds: Prepare seed bed, plant, water well, and cover with shade cloth on small hoops & keep watered. You could use a tarp if you kept it up for air flow.

Alex
Walden Farm
SE TN