market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Coolers - Walk In Style

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John and Katy Ehrlich <johnkaty AT shaw.ca>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Coolers - Walk In Style
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:09:07 -0700

go with the Coolbot  or Koolbot and an AC. Use rocksol  or rigid foam and no vapor barrier.

On 27-Apr-10, at 5:47 AM, Dalew Farms wrote:

We are adding another walk in cooler to our farm this year.  (Our other one is in the basement of the house, and we're getting tired of carrying everything down the stairs and then back up again on CSA and market days.)

I've been looking at used insulated truck boxes with reefers.  The problem I'm usually running into is that most of them either don't have an electrical backup to the main diesel unit, or the electrical backup is 3 phase, and we don't have access to 3 phase hydro here.  (We could purchase a phase converter, but the quote I received was about $2500)

At this point, it looks like we might buy one with a diesel unit and simply add an electricity powered compressor unit separately, so that way we've got our main power as electric, but we can use the diesel unit if the electricity goes out.

Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts or experiences in adding walk in coolers to their operation without spending a fortune, either with used truck boxes or other methods!

Thanks

Dave

PS - This is my first post.  I tried to look through the last 6 months' archives but didn't see any subject titles that looked like they covered this subject.  Thanks for letting me know about this list Rob, looks like lots of good info allready!