market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Carrot Germination

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland <rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Carrot Germination
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 19:45:38 -0400

We use small leafy gloricidia branches to cover carrots and cilantro plantings (especially, but also others) to help germination.  Gloricida is a leguminous tree often used as living posts.  We use it for posts to hold trellis to grow cukes, pole beans, etc. that back up beds, with other crops filling out the beds at their feet.   The posts are continually sprouting small branches which are easy to snap off when green (also when older) and lay either between crops in the beds as mulch or across newly planted seed patches/rows to keep soil moist.  The light branches on the soil resist being blown about by wind; after a few days, the leaves drop from the stems (which we can pick out if they're troublesome but usually can just leave in place).  The leaves are light enough so the seedlings emerge between or I can just pull back slightly from the lines in the bed when I see first germination.  The leaves then continue to cool and later rot & feed the soil.   The leaf cover is light enough so it doesn't seem to increase slug problems, but does seem to encourage earthworm and other soil life activity.  There is a balance to be found between keeping the post growing/alive by leaving enough greenery, but not so much that the root system becomes a problem.

Best wishes to all,

Karen

Roots Farm
Organic Produce