market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] how many computer people on this list??

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] how many computer people on this list??
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 21:11:29 -0400

Liz Pike wrote:
> How many computer people are on this list?? Meaning that's your other
> job??

I am a full-time computer analyst, and aspiring market farmer (slowly
transitioning over the course of a couple years).

> Makes me wonder, why are computer people drawn to
> market farming or is it the other way around, why are market farmers
> drawn to computers?

A diversified market garden is a very complex enterprise (I am just
starting to appreciate that), probably one of the most mentally
challenging farming endeavor. The complexity of the agroecosystem
leaves a lot of room for experimentation, troubleshooting and fine
tuning, which is exactly what have drawn many us "computer people" to IT
in the first place. Diversified vegetable farming is very
intellectually rewarding, I would say.

Plus, you get bored of working inside all the time! :)

Especially when it is as nice as this spring ...