market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] commercial grade dehydrators

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] commercial grade dehydrators
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 14:26:35 -0500

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 01:49:51PM -0400, KAKerby AT aol.com wrote:
> Is anyone here doing commercial-scale drying of stuff like herbs, fruits,
> veggies? Husband and I have both recently come to the conclusion that we
> need
> (not want, but legitimately need) a commercial scale dehydrator, way better
> than the home-made unit we've had for awhile. This new unit would have to
> be
> up to snuff for state-level certified food processing inspections. I've
> got a
> question in to our state Ag Dept to find out what the minimum requirements
> would be for such a dehydrator, but any suggestions/experience from list
> members would be welcome. Including where to buy such a creature for less
> $$$. Thanks muchly!

Please post your results, when you decide. I'm using four Excaliburs;
they are high end relatively cheap plastic "home" dryers. "Commercial"
dryers I've seen mentioned are stainless steel and thousands of dollars
rather than hundreds. I am pleased with my Excaliburs.

This brings to mind a pet peeve of mine: The use of the term "sun
dried" tomatoes. I doubt that any dried tomatoes on the market are
dried in the sun.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 28 days 8 hours 16 minutes