market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] asparagus beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <liz AT marketfarmshoptalk.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] asparagus beetles
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 12:14:42 -0400

4BBC67B6.5040607 AT outlands.ca" type="cite">
The snow cover probably helped the bug overwinter by acting as an
insulation blanket and moderating ground-level temperature.
on flatland that stands the reason but up here the snow cover was very inconsistent.  1/2 the land would be under 3' of snow while the other 1/2 lay bare--and this switched constantly depending on storm direction, slope angles and wind speed.  On one main road through town, residents on one side had to keep their driveways scraped and salted all winter while folks on the right enjoyed snow-free yards and driveways.  Here on our land we kept 3' of snow in our backyard from Dec through March while my front yard stayed mostly cleared!  Go figure!  Sorta glad we aren't growing to sell this year--our growing area did stay under snow and my cats have had a heyday with all the rodents, enough to keep our snake very well fed and themselves too.  I can't imagine what the flea beetles will be like there this year!

Liz