market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] asparagus beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] asparagus beetles
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 07:08:38 -0400

Liz Pike wrote:
> I thought the same thing, with as much cold and snow as we got and for
> how long it all stayed (all records were broken up here), I just knew
> we'd at least "gain" a little on the bugs. Not so!! Worse than I've
> ever seen.

The snow cover probably helped the bug overwinter by acting as an
insulation blanket and moderating ground-level temperature. Perhaps the
weather was harder on the auxiliary predators (birds, bats, carnivorous
insect, etc). I am not an entomologist, just speculating.

Have not noticed increase in bug count, yet. The next two weeks will
tell us if we will suffer the same fate here up North of the border,
where we had barely any snow and very mild weather all winter.