market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Buying a used greenhouse, Bending your own pipe

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <liz AT marketfarmshoptalk.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Buying a used greenhouse, Bending your own pipe
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 08:55:39 -0400

Jay, how old are your houses?? I remember using pvc before on what I called oversized-cold frames (this was before the term "hoophouse" came into being). The pvc caused the greenhouse plastic to degrade fast, eventually wearing holes wherever they touched. The frames lasted less than a year because the pvc ended up degrading also, cracked and split bad. I ended up re-engineering the frames with metal conduit. I don't know if newer pvc and greenhouse plastic has the same issues now, or if in my particular situation with extreme heat and humidity where I was located, if that had anything to do with it. (My fil's greenhouses are all metal and plastic, so can't experiment there.)

Liz